Green Mountain Power (GMP) and Saint Michael’s College today announced the unveiling of a public electric vehicle (EV) charging station on the Saint Michael’s campus. The new station is a partnership between GMP and St. Michael’s and will allow drivers to charge a vehicle at no cost for the first year.”We are very excited to launch this new EV charging station in partnership with Saint Michael’s College,” said Mary Powell, President and CEO of Green Mountain Power. “At GMP we are committed to a triple bottom-line of cost, carbon and reliability. Building charging station infrastructure is critical for the adoption of electric vehicles. This project and others like it will also help GMP learn more about how people use electric vehicles so we can move away from fossil fuels based transportation without jeopardizing reliability and cost.””Saint Michael’s College works continuously to nurture an ever-more sustainable environment on campus through multiple initiatives,” said Saint Michael’s President John J. Neuhauser. “This electric-vehicle charging station is in keeping with other efforts carried out through our buildings, our organic garden, our recycling efforts, and our extensive and ongoing sustainability programs.”GMP has also launched a new website at ev.greenmountainpower.com to share details on its charging station installations, as well as be a resource where people can learn more about plug-in electric vehicles and EV charging station infrastructure.The Coulomb Technologies CT2100 Chargepoint charging station is located in the Klein Center parking lot just off Route 15 at the west entrance to the Saint Michael’s College campus and is compatible with all plug-in vehicles available on the market. The Chargepoint system also provides customer-oriented features such as online and smartphone directions and reservations, driver notifications of charge status and effortless charging session initiation. The system will also provide feedback so that GMP can better understand how plug-in drivers use charging stations in practice.The station will be paired with a solar photovoltaic system placed atop the Klein Center. “Not only is this an important step to encourage the adoption of electric vehicles, but it demonstrates how renewable energy fits in with new technologies to displace carbon emissions, particularly from transportation,” said Powell.It is anticipated that the electric vehicle market will grow in the coming years with more than 100 plug-in electric or hybrid models available by 2013. While the EV charging station model will be different than the traditional gas station model, as most charging takes multiple hours and will be done at home, it is expected that public charging stations will be used to “top off” vehicles to keep them highly charged and expand their range.Green Mountain Power’s environmental commitment has already inspired some electric vehicle purchases for the company. The company has three Toyota Priuses that have been converted to plug-in hybrids, as well as two GEM neighbor electric vehicles. Later this year, GMP expects the arrival of a pure electric Ford Transit Connect, a small commercial van to be used in conjunction with the deployment of GMPConnects, GMP’s smart grid program. Additionally, GMP will also deploy a Posi-Plus bucket truck later this year, which will have a plug-in battery used to power jobsite operations of the bucket and boom, eliminating vehicle idling to reduce emissions, noise and cost. COLCHESTER, VT–(Marketwire – July 28, 2011) –
The Anchorage Daily News and ProPublica won the Pulitzer Prize for public service journalism for revealing one-third of Alaska’s villages had no police protection, while the photography staff of Reuters won the breaking news photography award for documenting last year’s violent protests in Hong Kong.The Courier-Journal in Louisville, Kentucky, took home the breaking news honor for its coverage of hundreds of last-minute pardons issued by former Governor Matt Bevin. The prize for investigative reporting went to the New York Times’ Brian Rosenthal, who exposed how thousands of New York City’s taxi drivers had their lives ruined by predatory lending.The Pulitzer Prize for Reuters, a unit of Thomson Reuters , was the newsroom’s eighth since 2008, and fifth in the last three years. The Pulitzer Prizes, the most prestigious awards in American journalism, have been handed out since 1917, when newspaper publisher Joseph Pulitzer established them in his will. Monday’s announcement had been postponed for two weeks because some journalists on the Pulitzer board are covering the coronavirus pandemic and needed additional time to evaluate the entries.In normal years, the prizes are announced before a crowd at Columbia University in New York. On Monday, Dana Canedy, who administers the Pulitzers, delivered the news from her living room, after the 18 board members hashed out the finalists and winners in “virtual and digital debate.””Ironically, the very first time the Prizes were presented was June 1917 — less than a year before the 1918 outbreak of the Spanish Flu pandemic,” she said. “During this season of unprecedented uncertainty, one thing we know for sure is that journalism never stops.”The Anchorage Daily News series, which included contributions from the investigative site ProPublica, found rampant sexual abuse in rural villages that are largely populated by indigenous people, where law enforcement was effectively nonexistent.The public service award is generally seen as the most coveted Pulitzer. The 2020 prize winners were in 15 categories of journalism and seven book, drama and music categories. Topics :
That sharply contrasts how Scott handled decreased playing time to Jeremy Lin and Nick Young, both of whom sought out Scott.“I respect him a lot as a basketball player and a person because of the way he comes to work every single day,” Scott said of Price. “I thought I owed him that.” Price has averaged only 5.2 points and 3.7 assists, but Scott often lauds his defensive toughness. “I’m always thankful to be able to play,” said Price, whose absence against Orlando marked the fifth consecutive game he missed because of a coach’s decision. “The times I got a chance to get on the floor, every chance I get, I try to enjoy it. We never know how many more basketball games any of us have.”Price, a nine-year veteran, signed with the Lakers last summer to a one-year, non-guaranteed deal worth $1.3 million. Price said he “absolutely” would love to stay with the Lakers, though they will prioritize pursuing marquee free agents. “It’s great when you have guys like a Ronnie Price,” said Scott. “He’s going to be good no matter if he’s playing or not. You know he’s going to work his butt off in practice. He’s going to be a mentor to the younger guys. He’s going to be great on the bench and great in the locker room.” ORLANDO, FLA. — It turns out that Ryan Kelly’s frustrations did not end once he fully healed his hamstrings.The Lakers’ 6-foot-11 forward soon encountered a different form of adversity, playing at the small forward position after previously thriving at power forward. But Kelly may have turned a corner, scoring a season-high 20 points on 6-of-14 shooting in the Lakers’ 103-97 overtime loss on Friday to the Orlando Magic at Amway Center. “I was a little more active and teammates saw my opportunities,” Kelly said. “I tend to try make the right play. But sometimes the play is to be aggressive and shoot the ball.”After missing 32 of the Lakers’ first 35 games because of injuries to his left and right hamstrings, Kelly has averaged only 3.6 points on 31.8 percent shooting. That marks a far cry from last season, when he averaged eight points on a 42.3 percent clip during his rookie year under former coach Mike D’Antoni as a stretch forward. “I know he’s a natural (power forward),” Scott said. “But anytime you can have versatility, it makes you more valuable. I want to still experiment with it.”So why did the formula work against Orlando?“He made shots. He got himself open and he was much more active offensively,” Scott said. “That’s the Ryan Kelly we were waiting for.”Meeting of the mindsScott recently told veteran guard Ronnie Price he likely will not play until after the NBA All-Star game on Feb. 13 for two reasons: So rookie Jordan Clarkson can develop as the starting point guard and so Price can fully heal from a sore right elbow. Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error
7:49 Mobile Politics Now playing: Watch this: Senators grill Twitter and Facebook over alleged political… Share your voice Twitter Tags Originally published July 27 9:42 a.m. PT.Updates, 10:06 a.m.: Adds more background. And June 28: Adds more details on Twitter’s notice. 12 Comments Twitter says it’s trying to protect the health of the public conversation. James Martin/CNET Twitter is changing how it handles tweets from politicians and government leaders — including President Donald Trump — that violate its rules but are still in the public’s interest. The social network on Thursday said it’ll start placing a notice over tweets that break its rules, and users will have to clip or tap on the warning to see the tweet.An example of what the notice will look like in Twitter feeds. Twitter “Sometimes, we decide that it may be in the public’s interest for certain Tweets to remain on Twitter, even if they would otherwise break our rules,” the company’s safety team said in a tweet. “We’re going to start using a new notice to make it clear when we make these decisions.”The change will apply to verified government officials and political candidates, as well as people being considered for a government position, who have more than 100,000 followers. Before seeing the tweet, people will have to click on a notice that says, “The Twitter Rules about abusive behavior apply to this Tweet. However, Twitter has determined it may be in the public’s interest for the Tweet to remain available.”The change is part of Twitter’s recent efforts to combat harassment and abuse on its site. The company has previously argued against removing problematic tweets from world leaders, including Trump, because they’re considered in the public interest. President Trump, a prolific Twitter user, has on multiple occasions accused social media companies of being biased against conservatives. Social media companies, for their part, have apologized for how they’ve handled some conservative content, but deny any bias and say they don’t censor political views. So far, Trump hasn’t tweeted about Twitter’s latest move. In addition to putting the notice over tweets that break its rules, Twitter said those tweets will appear less prominently on the site and won’t show up in places like safe search or the Explore tab. The notice won’t be applied to any tweets sent before Thursday.A team including regional members will decide when to use the notice and consider things like the potential harm from the rule violation, whether preserving the tweet will let people hold politicians accountable and other factors.The White House didn’t respond to a request for comment.
IT majors to lay off at least 56,000 employees this year Close The Indian IT sector has made quite some headlines this year with the reported mass layoffs. And the industry is now back in the news as six IT giants have reportedly reduced their employee strength in a big way in the first six months of this fiscal year.Brands like Infosys, Cognizant, Wipro and Tech Mahindra have seen quite a decline in their headcount in the last six months. Among them, Cognizant is reportedly the most affected as the number of its employees had declined by more than 5,000.While it has been said that TCS and HCL Technologies have added some employees to their workforce, this addition is not that big, reported the Times of India. In total, the number of employees in these six firms has dropped by 4,157. Even though the number may not seem that big, it comes in stark contrast to the 60,000 workers that these firms had hired in the same period last year.”The industry is standing at a crossroads. The journey toward digitisation and automation provides a plethora of opportunities, but with the same token also a myriad of challenges. Hiring for some of the Indian majors has not only decelerated, but for the first time we have seen a decrease of headcount,” Tom Reuner, SVP of intelligent automation and IT services at IT consulting firm HfS Research, told TOI.Meanwhile, Peter Bendor Samuel of outsourcing research firm Everest Group explained that these companies have also not been too keen on campus recruitments of late and the situation is unlikely to improve soon. The same was earlier explained by Nasscom president R Chandrashekhar as well. Employees of Infosys Technologies Limited walk in the campus of the company’s headquarters in Bangalore on April 13, 2017. Indian software giant Infosys has pledged to return USD2 billion to shareholders this year as it reported subdued growth in profits for the fourth quarter.MANJUNATH KIRAN/AFP/Getty ImagesThe IT industry had created 1.8 lakh jobs last fiscal, but it is likely to create only about 1.3-1.5 lakh jobs in FY 2018. This number includes lateral as well as campus jobs. IT giants are known to be some of the biggest campus recruiters, but this year the number is expected to go down. The sector added about 2.40 lakh jobs a year during the boom.”Companies are trying multiple avenues, including campus selection, lateral hires, etc. But campus will be on the lower side as compared to earlier years,” Chandrashekhar had said.The trend has mostly been attributed to automation in the IT industry. With numerous companies embracing digital services these days, it is said to be one of the reasons that firms are hiring lesser manpower.”With automation, the number of people we are hiring in the past will not be the same. It will slow down a little bit. We are also looking at hiring very differential kind of people,” Indian Express had earlier quoted Krishnamurthy Shankar, executive vice-president, group head, human resource development, Infosys, as saying. Wipro KDC Campus, KolkataWikimedia CommonsPankaj Bansal, co-founder and chief executive officer of PeopleStrong, noted that the job cuts due to automation may not show a drastic impact right away, but it will be visible by around 2020.However, it has often been said that automation is not all bad for the IT sector as it also opens new avenues to employees if they make an effort to reskill. While Nasscom has already said that workers, if they want to keep their jobs, will need to re-skill, Samuel too noted that employees with modern tech skills will be in demand.”The industry will continue to be a great place for engineers with the right skills in AI, automation, and other digital skills that are in high demand. However, for those individuals who have traditional IT skills, the picture changes dramatically,” he added.
BNP chairperson Khaleda Zia. File PhotoThe government filed two petitions with the Appellate Division of the Supreme Court on Thursday seeking a stay on a High Court order granting a six-month bail to BNP chairperson Khaleda Zia in two defamation cases filed in Dhaka and Narail, reports UNB.Deputy attorney general Kamrul Ahsan Khan Aslam said the hearing on the petitions is likely to be held with the Appellate Division vacation bench on 30 August.Earlier, the HC granted bail to Khaleda in the defamation case of Narail on 13 August and that of Dhaka on 14 August.On 21 December 2015, Khaleda Zia at a discussion at the Institution of Engineers, Bangladesh raised questions about the actual number of liberation war martyrs, saying, “There’re controversies over how many were martyred in the liberation war. There’re also many books and documents on the controversies.”Reacting to Khaleda’s remarks, Raihan Farooque Imam of Naragati filed a case with the Cognisance Court on 24 December, 2015 in Narail.Besides, president of pro-Awami League organisation Jananetri Parishad AB Siddique filed another defamation case against Khaleda Zia with a Dhaka court on 5 January, 2016.