China reports avian flu case near Hong Kong

first_imgJun 14, 2006 (CIDRAP News) – A 31-year-old Chinese man from Guangdong province near Hong Kong has tested positive for H5N1 avian influenza, according to a Xinhua news report today.The man, a truck driver, had a fever, back pain, and coughing that started Jun 3, and he was hospitalized in the city of Shenzhen Jun 9, according to a story from Agence France-Presse (AFP) today. He has been transferred to Donghu Hospital in Shenzhen and is listed in critical condition, Xinhua reported.The Shenzhen Center for Disease Control said the man tested positive for H5N1, and samples had been sent to China’s Ministry of Health for verification.The World Health Organization’s (WHO’s) global count of human H5N1 cases currently stands at 225 cases worldwide, including 128 deaths, since the current outbreak began in 2003. China has reported 18 avian flu cases and 12 deaths, all in 2005 and 2006, according to the WHO.The infected man might have contracted H5N1 after his wife bought a chicken from a live-bird market 2 weeks earlier and served it to him and four other family members, AFP reported, citing Xinhua. The other relatives have not had symptoms, the story said. In contrast, a Bloomberg report today said the man himself may have visited a local wet market.Shenzhen is about 40 minutes by rail from Hong Kong, the Bloomberg report said, and thousands commute between the cities each day or visit Shenzhen to shop. Hong Kong officials are screening travelers arriving by land for fever and have stepped up inspections of poultry from mainland China, according to Bloomberg.News of this human case comes after China’s Ministry of Agriculture issued an emergency order for local governments to tighten controls over poultry stocks to prevent migratory birds from infecting them, AFP reported Jun 12. The order focuses on areas in the flight paths of migratory birds. China has reported 35 outbreaks of avian flu among poultry since October 2005, according to AFP.In addition, the WHO announced it will open a center in China to help fight avian flu and other infectious diseases, according to a Jun 12 Bloomberg story. The WHO Collaborating Centre for Surveillance, Research and Training on Emerging Infectious Diseases will be located in Guangzhou, the capital of Guangdong province.”The WHO collaborating center in Guangdong is a milestone in China’s contribution to global public health,” said Huang Jiefu, China’s vice-minister for health, in a statement quoted by Bloomberg. “It reflects our country’s commitment to playing a prominent role in this regard, at an especially critical moment in public health history.”Elsewhere, Indonesia has asked the WHO and the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization to hold a technical review and consultation meeting next week in Jakarta, a separate Bloomberg story reported. Indonesia’s national committee for avian flu and pandemic flu preparedness invited Keiji Fukuda, coordinator of the WHO’s global influenza program, and other avian flu experts to participate in the meeting.The 3-day meeting begins Jun 21 and will assess the avian flu situation in Indonesia’s human and animal populations, according to Bloomberg. Its aim is to provide guidance to Indonesia’s government and improve the country’s strategies for rapid response and containment of outbreaks.And in northeastern Ukraine, the village of Pisky near the Russian border was quarantined to control an outbreak of avian flu in domestic poultry, a third Bloomberg article reported yesterday. A team of 70 soldiers was culling about 7,200 chickens to control the outbreak, the story said, only a month after government officials declared Ukraine free of the H5N1 virus.”I don’t know how long we will quarantine the village,” Ihor Krol, spokesperson for Ukraine’s Ministry of Emergency Situations, told Bloomberg.The country has culled more than 175,000 poultry in its southern regions this year to contain avian flu, Bloomberg reported. Ukraine also quarantined 10 villages in the Crimea, on the Black Sea, in December after the virus killed 2,500 poultry in the first of the country’s 22 H5N1 outbreaks, the story said. That quarantine was lifted in March.The current outbreak is the first in northern Ukraine, according to a Jun 12 Reuters article.last_img read more

ICC World Cup David Warner’s 166 off 147 balls takes down exuberant Bangladesh in Nottingham

first_img New Delhi: Bangladesh needed 82 off 30 deliveries with two set batsmen Mushfiqur Rahim and Mahmudullah still at the crease. Till then, both had scored their respective half-centuries and were hitting a boundary or two in almost every single over. With run-rate touching 16.5 runs an over, Bangladesh was still in the game, keeping T20 dynamics in the mind. However, Australian skipper Aaron Finch introduced his trump card in the 46th over and introduced Nathan Coulter-Nile back into the attack.Coulter-Nile, who carries a good experience at his back played with batsmen mind and pitched a short of a length delivery to Mahmudullah who smashed it straight into the hands of mid-wicket fielder and eventually cost the game for his side. Coulter-Nile finished with two wickets in that over, and eventually helped Australia to register a comfortable 48-run victory at Trent Bridge.In Nottingham, it was a flat deck and seeing the conditions, Aaron Finch asked the opposition to have a bowl first. Australian opener Aaron Finch and David Warner saw the initial overs and stamped their authority in next. The duo utilised their current form and hammered the Bangladeshi bowlers all around the ground. Both Finch and Warner strung a partnership of 121 runs before the former was sent back by the part-time bowler Soumya Sarkar.Once Finch departed, Warner played with more responsibility and continued his innings with Usman Khawaja. Warner, who took 55 balls for his first two fifties, paced his innings well, taking only 30 more balls to reach 150 before becoming Soumya Sarkar’s second victim. The part-time medium pacer proved effective with his variation of bumpers, yorkers and cutters and returned with 3 for 58 in his eight overs on a day when all the other frontline bowlers combined to take only one wicket.But by the time Warner departed, the stage was set for Glenn Maxwell to unleash his destructive abilities and he did that well in his 10-ball stay, cracking 31 runs: including 19 in 5 balls off Rubel Hossain’s ninth over. Confusion in running with Khawaja resulted in his run out, and possibly pegged Australia back a few runs from their eventual total.Khawaja, who had played a fine secondary role in company of Warner, too fell in the late overs – caught behind off Sarkar for a 72-ball 89. Australia lost four wickets in the last six overs but two fifties and a century by the top order, coupled with Maxwell’s late blitz, enabled them to post a sizeable total. In the end, Australia finished with a mammoth total of 381 runs on the board, which by some margin looked out of reach for Bangladesh.For Bangladesh, Soumya Sarkar and Tamim Iqbal started off the proceedings. However, their partnership didn’t last long as there was a confusion in the middle which eventually resulted in Sarkar’s wicket. Tamim and Shakib played well for their respective scores but got out at the wrong time.However, Mushfiqur Rahim and Mahmudullah kept the hopes alive for Bangladesh as they managed to put up a partnership of 127 runs. Rahim went onto slam his seventh century but wasn’t enough to get his team over the line. The loss resulted them to stay at the fifth position in the points table. Bangladesh suffered their third loss of the tournament.Australia now occupy the top spot in points table.David Warner was awarded as the man-of-the-match. highlightscenter_img For all the Latest Sports News News, ICC World Cup News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.last_img read more

Syracuse men’s basketball is back in the NCAA Tournament

first_img Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on March 11, 2018 at 6:14 pm Contact Tomer: tdlanger@syr.edu | @tomer_langer Syracuse (20-13, 8-10 Atlantic Coast) was selected to compete in the 2018 NCAA Tournament. The Orange earned a No. 11 seed and will face off against No. 11 Arizona State (20-11, 8-10 Pac-12) in a first-four game on Wednesday at 9:10 p.m. in Dayton, Ohio. The winner will play No. 6 seed TCU. The Orange was firmly on the bubble for the latter part of the year. Since the start of February, different bracketology sites shuffled SU between “last four in,” “first four out” and “next four out.” In the end, Syracuse did just enough to secure a bid.Entering the year, the Orange had relatively low expectations. Four out of five starters from last season were gone, and the only known commodity on the team was Tyus Battle.Syracuse got off to a blazing 11-2 start in the nonconference part of the schedule, though, with the only two losses coming to then-No. 2 Kansas and St. Bonaventure. The Orange also picked up a home win over Maryland, a road win over Georgetown and a neutral-site win over Connecticut.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textThe team hit a road bump in the ACC, losing back-to-back games (on the road to Wake Forest and home to Notre Dame without its two best players) to teams that would eventually finish in the bottom six of the conference. In the penultimate game of the regular season, a loss to Boston College, head coach Jim Boeheim said, “We had our opportunity earlier to win two games that we really should have won, and we didn’t finish.”The Orange kept its Tournament chances alive though, picking up road wins at Louisville and Miami and a home win over a ranked Clemson team. Each one of those wins came after a loss.Last season was nearly the exact opposite. That SU team came into the year ranked and had high expectations, but went just 8-5 in the nonconference portion of the schedule. It picked things up in the ACC, earning three wins over teams ranked inside the Top 10. But a lack of road wins, and the poor start, doomed the Orange as it missed the NCAA Tournament and played in the National Invitation Tournament instead.Now, Syracuse is back in the Big Dance. Commentslast_img read more

Lakers’ Russell, Clarkson picked to play in Rising Stars Challenge

first_imgIt sounded like it.“I have the ability to be an All-Star caliber player one day,” Clarkson said. “I’m definitely working toward that.”“Some people will be competitive and some people won’t be,” Russell said. “I know I’m going to be competitive and try to win.”Clarkson, Russell and Scott sounded surprised that Lakers second-year forward Julius Randle did not make the cut. Rnadle has recorded a team-leading 16 double-doubles and ranks first among his class in both that category and total rebounds (431). The U.S. team will include Karl-Anthony Towns and Zach LaVine of the Minnesota Timberwolves, Jahlil Okafor and Nerlens Noel of the Philadelphia 76ers, Rodney Hood of the Utah Jazz, Marcus Smart of the Boston Celtics, Elfrid Payton of the Orlando Magic and Jabari Parker of the Milwaukee Bucks. Russell and Clarkson became the eighth and ninth Lakers elected to the game, joining Jordan Farmar, Andrew Bynum, Kobe Bryant, Derek Fisher, Travis Knight, Eddie Jones, and Nick Van Exel. Despite averaging 14.6 points on 47 percent shooting in the past eight games, Russell has averaged only 3.1 assists during that stretch. Russell narrowed in on his 2.8 turnovers during that sample size that he blamed on being “too nonchalant.”“It’s not like the teams are forcing me into the turnovers,” Russell said. “It’s my turnovers.”Meanwhile, Clarkson has gotten better after making the NBA’s All-Rookie first team last year as the Lakers’ 46th overall pick. He has scored in double figures in 24 of the past 25 games despite having diminished ballhandling duties.“I’m coming here to hoop and play. I just want to be good,” Clarkson said. “I just want to be great one day. That’s all I work for. I don’t work for no awards. The biggest award I want is a championship one day.”Upon further reviewThis will hardly assuage the frustration the Lakers felt over their two-point loss on Tuesday to Dallas. But the NBA determined officials incorrectly called Lakers guard Lou Williams for an offensive foul on Mavericks guard J.J. Barea before making a floater that would have given the Lakers a 92-90 lead with 13 seconds remaining. Injury updateRandle received an MRI and CT tests that showed no stress reaction in his tibia, though he has soreness in his left knee. The Lakers listed Randle as probable for Thursday against Chicago. The Lakers also listed Bryant (sore right shoulder) and Williams (upper respiratory infection) as questionable to play. Amid a season full of losses and fluctuating roles, Lakers rookie point guard D’Angelo Russell and second-year guard Jordan Clarkson will soon experience something to celebrate.Both will participate in the Rising Stars Challenge on Feb. 12 in Toronto as part of NBA All-Star weekend, a game that will feature 10 American rookie and sophomore players competing against 10 foreign rookies and sophomore players.“A lot of people see a lot of promise in them,” Lakers coach Byron Scott said. “They still have a ways to go. They have to continue to work.“You don’t want to stop at the Rookie-Sophomore Game. You want to get to an All-Star Game. Hopefully that’s those guys’ dream and ambition.”center_img Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Errorlast_img read more