6 June 2014 The Junior Springboks laid down a marker at the IRB Junior World Championships on Friday when they outplayed New Zealand in North Harbour to record a 33-24 victory which was more convincing than the final score suggests. Dawie Theron’s charges conceded two early tries to fall 6-14 behind, but in the end they claimed a bonus point for scoring four tries. They trailed 14-17 at the break, but in the second half the South African forward pack took charge of the contest, dominating the breakdowns and making the lineout a lottery for the New Zealanders on their own throw-in.‘Our forwards did a great job’ “I think our forwards did a great job today,” Baby Bok skipper Handre Pollard said in a post-match interview on the field. “They got stuck in and created go-forward ball. Then, when the rain started coming down, we played the kicking game, and it worked out quite well for us.” Commenting on the way the Junior Springbok pack subdued the New Zealanders in the second half, he added: “As South Africans we usually [like to] play it up front. Our maul did particularly well tonight. I think it was quite a game up front. Congrats to our forwards, who played a great game, and our backs’ finishing was pretty good.”First try Pollard pulled the strings at flyhalf with aplomb and played a crucial role in South Africa’s first try, scored in the left hand corner by Jesse Kriel. Pollard, Lloyd Greeff and Warrick Gelant, backline players all, added further tries, using a formula that had served South Africa well against Scotland and worked well against the tournament hosts too. It began with taking the ball hard at the opposition with the forwards, then moving it from side to side before swiftly getting it out wide to where space had been created.Hat-trick of tries Spare a thought for New Zealand left wing Tevita Li, who excelled in a losing cause, scoring a hat-trick of tries, but South Africa clearly had the edge as the Baby Boks’ showed the longer the contest progressed. “It is a great New Zealand side, with lots of talent everywhere. I think we did well,” Pollard said. “We worked hard on our defence. We knew it was going to be a hard battle and they were going to take us wide, but I think we did well.” ‘That killed us’ New Zealand captain Simon Hickey agreed that the South African forwards set the platform for the men in green and gold to win: “I thought we started the game quite well,” he said. “We played the way we wanted to. We made the most of our opportunities in the first half, but we struggled off our ball in the second half, and we struggled to exit our half. That killed us.” South Africa next face Samoa in their last Pool B game. The islanders, who went down 12-48 to New Zealand in their first match, defeated Scotland 27-18 in Pukekohe on Friday.‘It will be a hard game against Samoa’ “It will be a hard game against Samoa,” said Pollard. We saw the other night, they played a hard game of rugby, so hopefully we can pull a win through and go to the semi-finals.” France, after a 19-13 win over Ireland and a 37-5 defeat of Fiji, appear on course for a place in the semi-finals. Defending champions England, after thrashing Italy 63- 3 and beating Australia 38-24, look likely to join them. The last of the semi-final places will go to the best of the second place finishers from the three pools.
Did you know there are over one million* active trackables traveling around the world from geocache to geocache? Trackables add a layer of fun to the game, letting you experience an epic journey, one story and one geocache at a time. Whether you’re a seasoned geocacher or a newbie just starting out, here are five reminders about trackables.1. Trackable (trakābəl), nounTrackables are traveling game pieces that geocachers send out into the world by placing in a geocache or at an event. Trackables come in many shapes and sizes, and each one has a tracking code: a unique series of letters and numbers. This code allows geocachers to track the real-world travels of the item online. Trackables may have missions or goals they are trying to achieve, which makes their journeys more fun! You can read entries of your trackable’s travels, see photos from your trackable’s travels, and connect with geocachers who carry your trackable from geocache to geocache.2. SWAG is swapped and trackables travelIf you take a SWAG (Stuff We All Get) item from a geocache, then you should leave something of equal or greater value behind. However, trackables move from cache to cache, so no need to leave a trackable when you take one. Just ensure you can help move a trackable toward its goal if you take one from a geocache!3. Log or it never happenedLogging a trackable helps the owner know it has been picked up and that its journey is continuing. When you find a trackable, follow these steps to log a trackable in the Geocaching® app:From the cache details, scroll down and select Trackables.Select Log from the trackable you wish to log.Enter the trackable’s tracking code to select from the log types Retrieve, Discover, or Grab. Or select Write Note.Write your log, submit a photo if you wish, and post!4. Keep on keepin’ onEach trackable may have a mission or goal that it is trying to achieve. Some trackable goals are specific, such as visiting every state in the US, or some just want to go on adventures to as many caches as they can. Most often, a trackable just wants to be moved. So, when grabbing a trackable from a cache, move it along in a timely manner to a cache where it is likely be picked up by someone else and actually will fit. Try to move it closer to its goal even if you can’t move it far.5. The muggle struggle is realSometimes trackables go missing. There are a number of reasons: a cacher mistook a trackable for a SWAG item, a trackable was dropped and lost (but sometimes they’re found!), or a cache is—dun dun dun—muggled. Some believe that muggles are just people who aren’t geocachers yet, but until they come to that realization, we still have to encounter their mistakes! If you think a trackable is missing, follow these steps to inform the cache owner and trackable owner. If it’s truly missing, the trackable owner can reuse the lost item’s tracking code on a replacement item.Inspired to send a trackable out on a journey of its own? View our trackable album on Facebook to gather some ideas for your next trackable or visit the collection at Shop Geocaching! But we want to know, what’s the best trackable you’ve ever encountered? If you’re a seasoned geocacher, what tips do you have about trackables? Tell us in the comments below!*trackables with a log since August 1, 2017.Share with your Friends:More SharePrint Related
TagsTransfersAbout the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say AC Milan coach Gattuso wants more from Higuainby Carlos Volcano10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveAC Milan coach Rino Gattuso says he needs more from Gonzalo Higuain.On-loan from Juventus, Higuain has struggled for form in recent weeks.”I’ve spoken to Gonzalo, and he’s the first to be disappointed by the situation,” Gattuso said in his Press conference ahead of the Bologna game.“In the period we’re in he needs to give us his experience and character, his goals come after that.“In difficult times the priority isn’t goals, but leadership, he needs to carry his teammates even if some make mistakes.“The chatter around him will always be there, we can’t control everything, but I’ve told him that everyone appreciates him, though he has to do more.”
Story Highlights “The information collected is verified by the mother, after which that data is uploaded to the RGD’s database,” Mrs. English Gosse explained. The Registrar General’s Department (RGD) has commenced electronic registration (e-registration) of births at eight hospitals across the island. Speaking with JIS News, Chief Executive Officer at the RGD, Deirdre English Gosse, informed that registration officers and assistants who are stationed at the hospitals are equipped with tablets to collect information from new mothers. The Registrar General’s Department (RGD) has commenced electronic registration (e-registration) of births at eight hospitals across the island.They are Spanish Town, St. Catherine; Mandeville, Manchester; St. Ann’s Bay, St. Ann; Cornwall Regional, St. James; Victoria Jubilee, Kingston; Princess Margaret, St. Thomas; Annotto Bay, Portland; and May Pen, Clarendon..Speaking with JIS News, Chief Executive Officer at the RGD, Deirdre English Gosse, informed that registration officers and assistants who are stationed at the hospitals are equipped with tablets to collect information from new mothers.The tablets were provided through support from the Universal Service Fund (USF).“The information collected is verified by the mother, after which that data is uploaded to the RGD’s database,” Mrs. English Gosse explained.Highlighting the benefits of e-registration, she noted that it will improve data collection and turnaround time for the processing of information as well as ensure greater accuracy of birth certificate data.She further indicated that the transition from registration books to tablets to collect and enter information will result in savings to the agency.Mrs. English Gosse told JIS News that the e-registration process, which was officially launched in 2016 following pilot projects, is being well received.She informed that the RGD is looking to reach four additional hospitals by the end of the year based on key factors, including the availability of secure Wi-Fi access in order to facilitate the uploading of information.“Upon completion of a full roll-out of e-registration islandwide, the agency will be able to capture information of all live births into its database in a more efficient and accurate fashion,” Mrs. English Gosse noted.The RGD has made submission to the Chief Parliamentary Counsel (CPC) to amend the legislation governing the registration of births and deaths in order to facilitate e-registration.While the necessary amendments are being awaited, the agency is conducting e-registration simultaneously with manual registration.
Ohio State No. 3 senior Micah Jordan, looks for the single-leg takedown against Malik Amine of Michigan in the 149-pound bout. Jordan wins by decision, 17-4. Credit: Sal Marandino | For The LanternOhio State and Penn State is a duel, a clash of the titans pitting 17 ranked wrestlers against each other. The No. 6 Ohio State wrestling team (9-1, 5-1 Big Ten) will take on No. 1 Penn State at home on Friday. The Nittany Lions (10-0, 6-0 Big Ten) won their last match against then No. 4 Michigan 25-11, which kept them undefeated on the season.Ohio State head coach Tom Ryan said both teams are “loaded,” and that it will be a must-watch duel.“This is kind of what you would dream of as a wrestler to be in an event like this,” Ryan said.The Buckeyes are coming off a 27-15 victory against Northwestern on Sunday while winning six of 10 bouts. Ohio State redshirt junior Kollin Moore, the No. 2 wrestler in the country at 197 pounds, will try and remain undefeated, but will enter as an underdog for the first time all season, taking on Penn State undefeated first-ranked redshirt senior Bo Nickal.Nickal has won two straight NCAA titles and has a 90-3 career record. But Moore said being an underdog does not faze him.“I have been in a lot of big matches and I can wrestle really well,” Moore said. “I think I have proven that I’m one of the top wrestlers in the country.”Ohio State senior Myles Martin, the No. 1 wrestler in the country at 184 pounds and undefeated on the season, will be tested against Penn State sixth-ranked redshirt senior Shakur Rasheed, who has not lost in 15 bouts.Ohio State senior Joey McKenna, the No. 2 wrestler in the country at 141 pounds, will return after missing the past two duels due to an undisclosed injury. He will square off against Penn State sixth-ranked sophomore Nick Lee, who has only lost once this season. “Joey is at another level, there is a handful of college wrestlers that are really elite and [McKenna] is one of them,” Ryan said. “We need to hold our ground and get bonus points when we can.”Ohio State redshirt freshman Ethan Smith, the No. 17 wrestler in the country at 174 pounds, will face Penn State first-ranked junior Mark Hall, who is undefeated in 19 matches.Hall won the NCAA title at 174 pounds in 2017, and has lost only four of his 67 career matches. Despite being in his second year at Ohio State, Smith said he is confident heading into his match against such a prominent opponent.“I can’t put [the match] on a pedestal too much, and let it get inside my head so I’m just going to go out there like it is any other match,” Smith said. “I don’t think I’m afraid to shoot or get in on anyone in the country.”No. 6 Ohio State will take on No. 1 Penn State at St. John Arena at 8:30 p.m. on Friday.
Ohio State freshman Jack Stevens (19) hits the ball over the net at the game against George Mason on Jan. 18 at St. John Arena in Columbus. Credit: Ethan Clewell | Senior ReporterOhio State accomplished something Thursday that no other team in the Midwest Intercollegiate Volleyball Association has done so far this season: force a fourth and fifth set on No. 10 Lewis. The Buckeyes (5-10, 1-4 MIVA) stretched Lewis (12-4, 5-0 MIVA) to five sets, but could not complete the upset, losing 25-21, 18-25, 24-26, 25-17 and 15-11. With the third set tied at 23, a long volley ended as junior outside hitter Reese Devilbiss killed a ball over the net giving the Buckeyes set point. Lewis forced overtime after a kill by junior outside hitter Kyle Bugee, but a kill by redshirt senior middle blocker Blake Leeson and an error by the Flyers awarded the Buckeyes a third set victory and a two sets-to-one edge over the Flyers, ensuring a five-set match. Leeson hit for .769 with 10 kills on 13 attacks, also providing an ace and six block assists. He said he saw steadiness in his teammates, keeping the Buckeyes focused. “Everyone played more relaxed and didn’t freak out as much over errors,” Leeson said. “I was honestly pretty proud of sets and aspects of the game across the board, but [we’ve] got to push a little harder in spots and not make errors in others to flip that switch to a W.” In the first set, Ohio State used kills by Leeson and redshirt sophomore outside hitter Tyler Alter to cut the Flyer lead to one. But Lewis rode kills by redshirt junior outside hitter Ryan Coenen and redshirt senior Julian Moses, as well as senior setter Matt Yoshimoto’s second ace of the night to put the set away for Lewis, 25-21. Coenen led the Flyers with 14 kills and two aces, adding seven digs and two block assists. Alter served as the offensive engine for the Buckeyes, leading the team with 19 kills, while bolstering the defense with nine digs and three block assists. He recorded 16 of his 19 kills in the first three sets. Head coach Pete Hanson was impressed to see Alter flourish with little collegiate volleyball experience. “I thought in the first three-and-a-half sets, Tyler Alter was awesome. He had a great night,” Hanson said. “At one point in time he was hitting close to .500, which for a kid that’s only played literally in — that was his second match in three years, that’s really really good stuff.” But where Ohio State seemed to have momentum in the first three sets, Lewis started to take over as the match wore on. Midway through the fourth set, Lewis used a kill by Coenen and two Buckeye errors to take an 11-7 advantage. A kill by sophomore middle blocker Austin Gerwig helped Ohio State trim the lead to two. But the Flyers capitalized on a kill by Coenen and two Buckeye errors to stretch their lead to five, 18-13. The Flyers finished the set on a 5-1 run, taking the fourth set 25-17 and forcing a fifth set. “The longer it went on the more we just kind of got into bad spots with our serving and passing and that affected our setting and that affected our hitting and just dominoes started to go the other direction,” Hanson said. After the Buckeyes exploded in the fifth set for four quick points courtesy of two kills by sophomore outside hitter Martin Lallemand, a Buckeye block and a Flyer error, Lewis responded with a six-point run of its own, building a 7-4 lead. Each comeback the Buckeyes mounted, the Flyers cut short, using five blocks and 10 digs to defend their lead and finish off the set, 15-11, and the match, 3-2. Despite the loss, Leeson is keeping things optimistic. “This is the best I’ve seen us play in awhile,” Leeson said. “I’m excited to see where we’re at.” Ohio State will try again for a league win against Loyola Chicago at 2 p.m. on Sunday at St. John Arena.
Posted: July 25, 2017 July 25, 2017 KUSI Newsroom Discussion continues on the future of the Qualcomm Stadium site KUSI Newsroom, SAN DIEGO (KUSI) — There is a struggle for power going on between republican Mayor Kevin Faulconer and his four City Council allies against the democrat majority.The two sides are arguing over whether the Qualcomm site can be considered a surplus property.If council declares it surplus property, the Soccer City initiative would become subject to state law and government agencies and non-profits would get first crack at use of the land ahead of SoccerCity. Central to this issue is the question: Who has the power to determine what is surplus land?The Surplus Land Act doesn’t specify, however council policy states the Mayor would determine the appropriate use of the property.Two months after the Chargers’ stadium proposal was defeated, FS Investors announced its initiative for a soccer stadium and development at the Qualcomm site with the Mayor’s backing.Then we learned the Mayor had been negotiating with FS and reached an agreement before the Chargers’ stadium vote.Councilmember David Alvarez called this a back-room deal, not a transparent and open process. Alvarez claims the land will be surplus once the stadium is torn down next year.The Mayor then had said the stadium may be excess, but that the property is still not surplus.“I do want to remind the council that you’re very limited in your discussion today to what item 330 has been called consideration of a request to declare the city-owned properties of the Qualcomm Stadium site,” City Attorney Mara Elliott said during a City Council meeting Tuesday.The council was trying to find a way to get other proposals for the Qualcomm site but they had trouble trying to get City Attorney Elliott to prepare a resolution that stayed within the bounds of what was before them. Elliott had said there were no facts to back up a declaration for surplus land.“On the issue of surplus land never says that the council is prohibited from passing a resolution to declare this property surplus,” Alvarez argued.Since the council couldn’t address that issues, the discussion turned a Plan B of the SoccerCity initiative fails next year.“We have a role to play in determining this site,” Councilmember Georgette Gomez said.Councilmember Scott Sherman saw the entire discussion as political theatre.“ Kind of hard to determine there’s something surplus when we have a citizen’s initiative out there ready to go,” Sherman said.The council struggled to understand what it could do and couldn’t do with what was before them. So they ended up referring this to a council committee for further discussion. The only other action taken Tuesday was a request for a report from the Mayor on the potential use of the Qualcomm property if the SoccerCity initiative fails. Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter