Watching Pogba? Man Utd striker Lukaku: France didn’t deserve to reach World Cup finalby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester United striker Romelu Lukaku admits Belgium’s World Cup semifinal defeat to France still burns.Lukaku has no doubt they blew a great chance of being world champions last summer.”We did not have room in the system that we played at that time. The final whistle was terrible. We lost the game of our lives against a team that did not really deserve to move on to the final,” said the 25-year-old to RTBF.”Yes, they became world champions, congratulations, but actually it was the moment to play the final for this generation.” TagsWorld CupAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Man City chief Berrada tells Liverpool: Premier League more worthyby Paul Vegas15 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester City chief Omar Berrada says winning the Premier League is more worthy than success in the Champions League. City have won the Premier League for the past two seasons, while main rivals Liverpool have reached successive Champions League finals, winning the last one earlier this year.Asked how much they would like to win the Champions League, Berrada said: “A lot, of course, but what we don’t want to do is obsess. It is something we believe will come.“Of course it would give us one more point at the brand level, but it is a very random competition. Especially in the elimination phase.“I would say that not always the best team wins the Champions League, but usually the best team wins the league.”
Waffle House The Waffle Wager is coming to the Palmetto State.For the third year in a row, Waffle House is putting a friendly “Waffle Wager” on a college football game of its choice. Last year, it was Auburn-Georgia, while in 2013 it was Alabama-Texas A&M. This year, the match-up is Clemson-South Carolina, and either Clemson, S.C. or Columbia S.C. will receive free Waffle House based on the result of the game. From Business Wire: “You can throw out the records when the Tigers and Gamecocks take the field, and when you add in the Waffle Wager, it becomes an even bigger event!” said Walt Ehmer, Waffle House President and CEO. “Good luck to both schools, and like the old saying goes, ‘To the victor goes the waffles, coffee and hashbrowns.’”Fans of the winning team will get the free Waffle House goodness at either a restaurant in Clemson, S.C., or Columbia, S.C. If Clemson wins the game, Royal Cup and C.H. Guenther will provide hashbrowns, waffles and coffee for the fans and if South Carolina wins, Basic American Foods will be stuck with the tab. The “payout” date, time and winning Waffle House location will be announced after the game.In addition to the free hashbrowns, waffles and coffee, the winning university’s general scholarship fund will receive $10,000 to help further the education of its students.Obviously, the Tigers are heavy favorites over the Gamecocks this year. But when free Waffle House is involved, anything can happen. [ Dr. Saturday ]
zoomImage Courtesy: Pixabay under CC0 Creative Commons license Holland America Line, a part of Carnival Corporation, has sold the 835-guest cruise vessel Prinsendam to the German cruise company Phoenix Reisen.The company informed that the 37,983-ton cruise ship is scheduled to leave its fleet on July 1, 2019 and transfer to the new owner.Following the sale, Prinsendam is being chartered back to Holland America Line to continue sailing its planned voyages through July 1.Prinsendam’s itineraries from July 1, 2019, onward are scheduled to be assimilated by Rotterdam, Volendam and Veendam. Holland America Line is reaching out to booked guests and their travel professionals to re-accommodate guests on these cruises.Prinsendam was built in 1988 as Royal Viking Sun for Royal Viking Line. The ship was operated by Cunard Line from 1994 through 1998 and then transferred to Seabourn Cruise Line, where it became Seabourn Sun in 1999. In 2002 the ship joined the Holland America Line fleet and was renamed Prinsendam.
Kolkata: A West Bengal Minister was among over 400 persons forced to evacuate their residences and shops in the heart of the city after more than 50 buildings developed cracks — and several collapsed — apparently due to tunnelling work for the under-construction 16.60-km East West Metro Railway project — a part of which constitutes India’s first under-river train line.The project — technologically analogous to the Eurostar (connecting Paris and London) — met with what the implementing agency Kolkata Metro Railway Corporation Limited (KMRCL) called an “unprecedented disaster” on August 31, when a tunnel boring machine hit an aquifer resulting in water and silt gushing in and triggering serious ground loss on several roads in central Kolkata’s Bowbazar area — close to the city’s bustling office and business hub Esplanade and Dalhousie. Also Read – Bengal family worships Muslim girl as Goddess Durga in Kumari PujaWhile 10 buildings developed cracks on August 31, the number increased to 20 the next day and climbed up to 52 till Thursday, prompting authorities to shift more than 400 dwellers to hotels or guest houses in the vicinity. At least two buildings have caved in.Among those asked vacate their residences by senior KMRCL officials was state Planning and Statistics Minister Tapas Roy as a precautionary measure as cracks have appeared in most adjacent buildings. Roy, who has been residing at BB Ganguly Street for over a decade, termed the situation “unfortunate”. Also Read – Bengal civic volunteer dies in road mishap on national highwayMeanwhile, the KMRC has announced a relief of Rs 5 lakh to each household evacuated in a sudden/unplanned manner following damage to their residence.”The KMRCL board of directors have decided to immediately release Rs 5 lakh per family to those affected,” it said in a statement.The order to vacate “immediately” came to families on Durga Pituri Lane, Babu Ram Seal Lane and Gour De Lane.Anindita Dey, 25, is scheduled to get married on December 1. Her family was given “10 minutes” on Monday to take out their valuables and important documents. But before they could get anything out, the building collapsed burying their belongings in the rubble. The Dey family, now lodged in a hotel by the KMRCL, is now banking on the announced Rs 5 lakh compensation and Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee to see through the wedding.The KMRCL has promised to reconstruct or repair the damaged buildings, and provide the shifted residents flats on rent if their hotel stay “is prolonged”.The agency has also engaged several experts “of both national and international repute” for addressing the issue in the best possible manner”, the statement said.”International experts namely Paul Vireli (tunnel expert from South Africa), Guy Bridges (Hong Kong), geotechnical engineer John Endicott (Singapore), grouting expert Kiril Shramka (Russia) and Kumar Pitchumani from Chennai are already in Kolkata,” it said.According to KMRCL, the tunnel boring work has been stopped and would resume only after a green signal from the court. Company officials fear that the project could be delayed by at least a year, leading to a massive cost escalation.The court will hear the matter on September 16.Meanwhile, state Urban Development Minister Firhad Hakim has sought Railway Minister Piyush Goel’s intervention to control the damage and ensure proper rehabilitation of the affected denizens. Hakim also charged the KMRCL with negligence that has caused the “massive human suffering”.The Chief Minister, who reviewed the situation with KMRCL authorities, experts, police and administrative officials earlier this week, has decided to form a core group comprising the Chief Secretary, Home Secretary, City Police Commissioner and representatives of affected houses and shops to look into the tunnelling related problems.The Metro corridor bridges the twin cities of Howrah and Kolkata — two of the most populous areas — has been planned to drastically cut down travel cost and time, almost by an hour and a half.The Metro would run from Salt Lake’s Sector V, Kolkata’s IT hub, and Howrah Maidan. Out of the total 16.60 kms, 5.8 km is an elevated corridor and 10.8 km will run underground. The 520-metre twin tunnels under the river are part of the underground stretch.Once commissioned in 2019, one would travel more than a 10-storied building below the water surface for almost half a kilometre across the 460 metre-wide Hooghly. The Metro project — connecting two of the world’s busiest railway stations Sealdah and Howrah — was originally slated to be operational by 2012, but the deadline has got pushed back repeatedly due to land and other issues.The affected section — from Esplanade to Sealdah — is a 2.45 km stretch. The tunnel boring machine was about 600 metres from Sealdah when disaster struck. The projected daily maximum passenger load is nine lakh.
APTN National NewsAs the climate change talks continue in Paris some Yukoners say they are already experiencing the impacts of climate change.Warming in the North is occurring faster than the rest of Canada. Canada is also warming at twice the global rate.With warmer temperatures, the permafrost in the Western Arctic is beginning thaw.APTN’s Shirley McLean has this story.
VICTORIA – British Columbia’s privacy commissioner says a chicken-catching company was not authorized to use video surveillance on staff in response to an animal cruelty investigation.Elite Services in Chilliwack said in June it would require one supervisor and two staff members to wear cameras on their vests after an animal advocacy group released an undercover video that allegedly showed workers hitting, kicking and throwing chickens.Drew McArthur, the province’s acting information and privacy commissioner, says he launched an investigation following media coverage of the case over concerns the video surveillance was being used as a “quick fix” and could violate privacy rights.The investigation found that Elite Services implemented the video surveillance to prevent employee misconduct and restore the company’s reputation.“But video surveillance should only be used as a last resort, not as a substitute for ineffective recruitment and training protocols,” McArthur says in the report released Wednesday.He says the company did not consider the privacy risks involved in collecting the video, and the employees who were under surveillance were not the same workers who were allegedly responsible for the original misconduct.Elite Services said in June that six staff members were fired as a result of the undercover video, including two who were let go before the footage was released.The company did not immediately respond to a request for comment, but McArthur’s report says it stopped video recording its employees once it was aware of the privacy commissioner’s investigation. McArthur’s report recommends the company stop using the video cameras.McArthur says his office found the company was collecting personal information from individuals without consent, including from farmers, truckers and contractors.The investigation found the collection and use of the personal information was not reasonable.“Too often, organizations like this one turn to surveillance believing it will fix their crisis or problem. Organizations need to understand the privacy risks associated with surveillance and take all reasonable efforts to avoid them,” the report says.McArthur’s report makes seven recommendations, including that the company destroy all existing surveillance video and develop formal procedures to make sure personal information is protected in the future.
MINNEAPOLIS — The number of farms filing for bankruptcy is increasing across the Upper Midwest, following low prices for corn, soybeans, milk and beef, according to a new analysis from the Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.The analysis found that 84 farms filed for bankruptcy in Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota and Montana in the 12 months that ended in June. That’s more than double the number over the same period in 2013 and 2014.“Current price levels and the trajectory of the current trends suggest that this trend has not yet seen a peak,” said Ron Wirtz, an analyst at the Minneapolis Fed.The increase in Chapter 12 filings reflect low prices for corn, soybeans, milk and beef, The Star Tribune reported. The situation has gotten worse for farmers since June because of the retaliatory tariffs that have closed the Chinese market for soybeans and held back exports of milk and beef. Chapter 12 bankruptcy allows for repayment of debt over three years.“Dairy farmers are having the most problems right now,” said Mark Miedtke, the president of Citizens State Bank in Hayfield. “Grain farmers have had low prices for the past three years but high yields have helped them through. We’re just waiting for a turnaround. We’re waiting for the tariff problem to go away.”Miedtke said the underlying problem began before the trade issues, with farmers being too efficient for their financial good and demand not keeping pace with the production.“The picture could start changing this spring,” Miedtke said. “We do what we can to try to work with farmers.”___Information from: Star Tribune, http://www.startribune.comThe Associated Press
Swan said that the proportion of teenagers getting their driver’s licenses is higher in Northeast B.C. than on the coast, and that they’re getting their licenses earlier. He added that after 17 years of giving his presentation, more and more youth are getting the message about the dangers of impaired and distracted driving. FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. — Students at North Peace Secondary School got to hear and see some of the horrific consequences of impaired and distracted driving during a presentation on Thursday by one of ICBC’s road safety speakers, though last week’s tragedy in Saskatchewan meant that message was toned down somewhat.Ted Swan is now in his 30th year working as a paramedic in B.C., and has been giving presentations to senior high school students across the province for 17 years. Before speaking at NPSS, Swan spoke to students in Chetwynd, Tumbler Ridge, Dawson Creek, and Fort Nelson, before wrapping up in Hudson’s Hope on Thursday afternoon. Thursday’s presentation on road safety began with a moment of silence to honour the victims of last Friday’s crash that claimed the lives of 16 members of the Humboldt Broncos Junior hockey team. Swan then began educating the students who had packed the gym’s bleachers about what to expect if they’re involved in a collision. Swan described some of the injuries a vehicle’s occupants would sustain in a crash, and the subsequent medical procedures they’d undergo in hospital. One moment that got a reaction of the male members of the crowd in particular came during Swan’s illustration of the size of a uretic catheter.Paramedic and ICBC road safety speaker Ted Swan holds up a catheter during a presentation at NPSS on Thursday. Photo by Chris NewtonAccording to ICBC statistics, between April and June every year there are about 410 crashes in Northern B.C. involving people between the ages of 16 and 21, resulting in an average of 80 injuries. Statistics show that speeding, distracted driving, and impaired driving are the three leading causes of car crashes on B.C. roads.Swan explained after that he did tweak his presentation after last week’s bus crash.Paramedic Ted Swan joins students and faculty at North Peace Secondary School in a group photo after Swan’s presentation on Jersey Day. Photo by Chris Newton.“I did pull some punches, I did not give them the full presentation due to that. The energy here was very sombre, and rightly so. I know what it’s like as a first responder to go to a multi-casualty incident.”
Enbridge says it has completed soil sampling and preliminary field observations in the area of the blast and found no traces of hydrocarbons in the soil.It also says field observations show that animals and plants are still active and viable around the explosion site.Enbridge says it expects the site to recovery quickly.(THE CANADIAN PRESS) VANCOUVER, B.C. – Enbridge Inc. says it has begun construction of a temporary access road to the site of a natural gas pipeline explosion in Prince George, B.C.In a news release issued Sunday the company says construction will take a few days, but it has no timeline on when the repair work will be completed.An explosion Tuesday knocked out a 91-centimetre line and another pipeline is supplying natural gas on a reduced basis.